Monday, July 5, 2010

Did you learn anything at school today?

I have tried to let a few guiding principles inform my teaching since 1985. One is that there are no children who cannot learn, only children we fail to teach. A more recent one comes from Ross Green, "Children do well if they can." I was told recently by an administrator that the first of these will put me at odds with a lot of my colleagues. If that's true then perhaps somebody is in the wrong profession. I have been questioning my place here since before I became a teacher in 1986. So often I fall short of what I'm trying to achieve in my work.

Today's class and our introduction to the amazing Sue Rubin makes me feel that perhaps I have a chance of getting it right yet. I can only imagine the excitement and satisfaction of helping to facilitate a person's voice as we saw in this video. So often we fall victim to assumptions about those around us ...who they are, what they want, where they're going. Perhaps if we could facilitate communication more then block or misinterput it, we would see the real person rather then our projection of who they are. Do people fail to reach their full potential because society is unable to allow them the tools necessary to construct themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment