Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Not overwhelmed ...really excited!

After a long difficult year I had been dreading being “in school” for the early hot days of July. I was feeling so ready for a break. Now I’m feeling that Mom was right and sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

I have been an AT dabbler for years. In 2006 I did some in-servicing on WordQ/SpeakQ, Intelli-tools and low tech AT. I also got a PD grant for a Writer Plus. I used these with some of my students but I/they were often frustrated with glitches. I hadn’t know enough to either appropriately assess the needs nor support the use of the applications the way I wanted to.
This year I found myself in a new school teaching a different level, and commuting. My computers were in bad shape and I never did get things up and going as I had in my previous school.

In just three days I’ve gone from feeling pretty burned out to being really hot about the possibilities for introducing more assistive technology into my programming. I know I have lots more to learn about the assessment process and how to use the various tools for optimum benefit, but at the very least I feel I’ll have more knowledge and skill by July 20. Even with just a bit of exposure to the ipod/ipad I can see how powerful they are in terms of opening doors, windows, and worlds to kids with learning challenges.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lorraine,
    I agree, these summer days in class are really energizing!
    By the way, your site is very pleasing to the eyes, has toms of good info and is well organized! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are excited. :)

    Here's the link to my blog - I update it on Monday's with the Gleaner column. I usually post notes on people's walls or on twitter when I do this. I'll try and remember to post a reminder here too...

    Hugs! It was great talking to you today....
    I'll probably send the info on James tonight or early tomorrow! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS> I didn't include the link because it's in my name - mybigfatlife - just click on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorraine,
    Great site. It is amazing to see how far you have come in such a short time but then none of us that know you would be surprised. Life does throw us all more than a few curves but that is almost the point. Life is in many respects about discovering and then surpassing our limitations. So it is with assistive technology--methods to reach those that live in the margins and within the masses--to help them break out beyond the institutionalized confines with tools appropriate to a rapidly evolving context. So it is also appropriate that I "say" that the word "limitations" does not readily seem to not apply--to you. Keep on your path of discovery--it suits you.
    With more love and support,
    Shayne

    ReplyDelete