Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Effective communication

Communication partner+common language+joint attention=effective communication

The equation looks simple enough and yet so often we/I get it wrong. Non-verbal messages, tone of voice, and emotionally loaded topics are just some of the issues that can cause communication to be derailed.

Modes of communicating:

touch - hand on shoulder, pat on back, hug
eye contact - purposeful or meaningful look
facial expression - smile, raised eye brows
gesture - point, wave
body language - hands on hips, arms folded across chest
utterances - screaming, grunting
verbal - conversation
art - song, music, dance, drawing, painting

Components for effective communication

Clear message goal
Listening vs waiting your turn to talk
Showing interest in speaker/topic - empathy
Timely appropriate response

Example of a personal communication experience

My 19 year old daughter has been using my car since she's been home from university and I am driving her father's car as he recently bought a truck. Yesterday she loaned my car to her boyfriend without asking permission. Her father and I were not pleased. I told Megan clearly that this was a breach as the car was not her's to lend and reminded her that we has spoken about this several months ago. She stated that she thoughts things had changed as we now had three vehicles. I explained that in fact her father and I were not ok with her lending the car and do not want her to do it again. She apologized and said she understood our feeling and would not do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment