Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jamie Jamie Jamie


Just spoke to my 18 year old son JAMIE who is in Montreal at a film festival. I had sent him a link to my blog. He said the first thing he did when he checked it out was to click "control f" (find) and typed in his own name to see if he had been mentioned. I explained that the blog was about our course and not my life. However if he comes back he will see that I have now devoted an entry to him.

I didn't know about "control f". There are so many things that this e-generation just takes for granted ...they've grown up with the stuff. This is part of the reason why it's so important for educators to buy-in to the technology that has becomes so second nature to our students. If we want to have meaningful communication we need a common language and more and more, technology is their language.

I just read this entry to Shayne who said, "You didn't know about control-f !?!" And again I am struck by our generation's piecemeal knowledge of technology. In class this morning I showed somebody how to do a google search for an image of an itunes app icon, copy it and then paste it into a document. I wish somebody could find a way to download all this stuff directly into our brains.

2 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of a prof I had before. He said that we are becoming more like machines every day as technology advances. We rely on and wear technology for almost everything. I still think it is funny looking to see someone walking around with a bluetooth attached to their head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "e-generation" takes this all for granted. It is their miliue and is as natural to them as car travel was to us in our teens. In our parent's or grandparent's day it was something special. Some people fear the technology of the future ...I say bring it on.

    ReplyDelete